Thursday 27 March 2014

Activity 6.1

In Monday's Class, we had a guest speaker Joyce Seitzinger from Australia talk to the class about Personal Learning Networks. she talked to us about what a PLN is and what tools we can use to develop our PLN to maximize the usefulness of PLN's

The first point that Joyce talked about that I found particularly interesting was how social media is a very useful platform to develop your PLN. The part that I found the most interesting was about the use of twitter. I learnt that twitter is a very effective tool to develop your PLN. I already knew that you can use twitter to follow industry professionals, but the thing I learnt was that you can use the hash tags to access rich information from others with the same interest as you. Before Joyce's presentation, I didn't really see twitter as a useful tool, but after hearing about it and all the benefits of it, i will definitely be using it in the future.

The second bit that I learnt the most from was when she talked about all of the different tools that are available for your PLN and how they can be grouped into different categories. Some of the new tools that were introduced to me by Joyce were, Flipboard and About Me. About me will be particularly useful for me as it aggregates all the tools in one place and makes it easier for people to find you as everything is all on one page.

A challenge that I can see myself facing in the future is: How to stay active on all of the different tools (What to post? when to post it? do I have enough time to manage all of these different tools?)

6.14

Here is a picture of my PLN diagram





At the moment, My PLN is quite small and I'm looking to expand it with some of the new tools I have learnt about from Joyce's Presentation and by trying some of the other tools I have seen from other student's Diagrams. At the moment I get a learning edge from my PLN because I have a good mix of communication and learning tools which means I can gather information and communicate it effectively using my PLN

No comments:

Post a Comment